From: Rasmus Andersen <rasmus@××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "top" for disk access
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:25:21
1 On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 05:16:54PM +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > > > is there a top-like utility that can tell me what processes are doing
3 > > > the most disk reads/writes?
4 > >
5 > > run 'vmstat 1'
6 >
7 > that doesn't seem to tell me what processes are running, only what the
8 > system totals are. I wanted to see a top like output, eg
9 > process1 xMb/s
10 > process2 yMb/s
11 > etc
12
13 I dont think you can get that out-of-the-box. I have not played with
14 accounting stuff (sar etc) so that might be able to do something like
15 this for you but AFAIK then vanilla kernel wont try to track this. The
16 reason is that short-lived processes might die before their disk request
17 gets to the block layer, making accounting impossible. A bit more
18 farfetched you might picture PID wrap and get disk access accounted to
19 the wrong process. I am not an expert on this so I am happily corrected.
20
21 For disk IO I find iostat to be better than vmstat. Its part of the
22 sysstat package.
23
24 Cheers,
25 Rasmus