From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eject and util-linux blocker
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 21:07:38
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 17/03/2015 22:16, Dale wrote:
3 >> Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 >>>>> Your basic problem is that you have static and static-libs in USE. When
7 >>>>> applied to lvm, a whole bunch of blockers kick in and you get what you
8 >>>>> got. So take them out of USE.
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> USE="static static-libs" has it's uses, it's great for building rescue
11 >>>>> disks, busybox and maybe some disk repair utils, but makes very little
12 >>>>> sense on a regular workstation. If you break your workstation, you'll
13 >>>>> boot off a rescue disk and use the tools on it to fix your install, so
14 >>>>> you don't need it on the main system.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>> There is nothing wrong with your eudev.
17 >>>>> lvm2 is bitching about blockers between lvm2 built with "USE=static" and
18 >>>>> udev - there's some incompatibility there and the ebuild knows about them
19 >>>>>
20 >>>>>
21 >>>> I went through the package.use file and commented out the static and
22 >>>> static-libs stuff. It seems happy but thing is, when I put them there,
23 >>>> they were needed for some reason. Actually, all the parts I found had
24 >>>> the output of where emerge said those were needed. Maybe the reason
25 >>>> they were needed then has changed and they are no longer needed. I hope
26 >>>> anyway. ;-)
27 >>> I know there were some guides for doing LVM root that used to advise
28 >>> building stuff statically, probably because of some problem with
29 >>> genkernel.
30 >>>
31 >>> With a modern initramfs (dracut, and possible recent genkernel),
32 >>> shared libs work just as well, so there should be no need.
33 >>>
34 >>>
35 >> Well, in package.use, it has some output of emerge that said it needed.
36 >> Here is a snippet:
37 >>
38 >> # required by sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.109[static]
39 >> # required by @selected
40 >> # required by @world (argument)
41 >> #=sys-apps/util-linux-2.24.1-r3 static-libs
42 >
43 > You are reading it wrong. That means:
44 > util-linux needs to be built with USE="static-libs"
45 > because
46 > lvm2 is already built with USE="static"
47 >
48 > None of which explains why you originally built lvm2 that way.
51 It was because emerge told me it needed it for some reason. It is very
52 rare that I just put something in package.use on my own. On the rare
53 times I have done it, it is on a package that I use and I need to enable
54 something but don't want to enable it globally or only that one package
55 has that USE flag. A couple examples, gimp, nut, gtkam is a few that I
56 have in there because of some option I need to enable/disable.
59 >> # required by virtual/udev-208-r2
60 >> # required by @selected
61 >> # required by @world (argument)
62 >> #virtual/libudev static-libs
63 >>
64 >> # required by virtual/udev-208-r2[gudev]
65 >> # required by @selected
66 >> # required by @world (argument)
67 >> #virtual/libgudev static-libs
68 >>
69 >> There's a couple more but you get the idea. I don't use genkernel,
70 >> tried it but never got a working kernel from it so I do them by hand.
71 >> Everything built OK with no more complaining so I guess whatever it is
72 >> has changed. Still weird tho.
73 >
74 > This has nothing to do with genkernel.
75 > More than likely, you followed some daft advice on teh intarwebz saying
76 > you need a static lvm to be able to boot / on lvm.
80 I don't have / on lvm. /boot and / are on regular partitions.
81 Everything else, /usr, /var and /home, are on lvm. Keep in mind, I was
82 trying to avoid that init thingy.
83
84 I mentioned genkernel because Mike mentioned it. I tried it ages ago
85 and never got a kernel that would boot. I don't even have it installed
86 here. I started doing them by hand and have been pretty good at it ever
87 since. Odd I know.
88
89 Dale
90