From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage snapshot signing key expired again
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 19:42:19
1 ср, 9 янв. 2019 г. в 19:36, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 6:21 AM gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Just tonight I tried to update my portage snapshot
6 > > by emerge-webrsync command and found out that
7 > > the portage snapshot signing key expired again
8 > > without being properly updated by app-crypt/gentoo-keys
9 > > update before its expiration as described here:
10 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/Features#Validated_Portage_tree_snapshots
11 >
12 > So, a few issues there. Gentoo-keys isn't used to validate portage
13 > snapshots. On my system emerge --sync checks them with
14 > /usr/share/openpgp-keys/gentoo-release.asc which is part of
15 > app-crypt/openpgp-keys-gentoo-release. The keys in this file don't
16 > expire until July 2019 at the earliest.
17 >
18 > > On the other side, app-crypt/gkeys is marked by ~
19 > > in my architecture (amd64). So, it is impossible
20 > > to update the portage snapshot signing key without
21 > > using non-recommended package.
22 >
23 > Then don't use that package. It isn't needed to verify signing keys. :)
24 >
25 > > The same situation happened just half a year ago.
26 > >
27 > > Is it only me who thinks that Gentoo must care more about security?
30 > You might want to investigate a bit more before pointing fingers...
31
32 Ok, not app-crypt/gentoo-keys package but
33 app-crypt/openpgp-keys-gentoo-release package.
34
35 Does it matter?
36
37 The fact is that today emerge-webrsync said me that the
38 protage snapshot signing key expired and because of it
39 it cannot download and verify the daily portage snapshot.
40
41 I had no choice than to install app-crypt/gkeys package
42 and use it to get new portage snapshot signing keys.
43
44 Only after that emerge-webrsync finally was able to
45 download and verify the daily portage snapshot.
46
47 After that I have found out that a new
48 app-crypt/openpgp-keys-gentoo-release package
49 was released on 2 January 2019 when the previous
50 portage signing keys already expired.
51
52 The similar situation was just a half year ago.
53
54 To add to it, the following bug with Gentoo documentation
55 I have posted yet on 24 November 2018 is still unfixed:
56 https://bugs.gentoo.org/671816
57
58 Just to remind, the said bug is about the fact that it is
59 impossible to install Gentoo the way as it is described
60 in the Gentoo Handbook just because the same
61 emerge-webrsync cannot download and verify the
62 daily portage snapshot just after stage3 is untarred.
63
64 What else shall I "investigate" before stating that
65 Gentoo neglects security issues?
66
67 No wonder that Gentoo GitHub account was also hacked last year!