From: David Sveningsson <ext@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Xt error: Can't open display: :1
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 17:29:27
1 Hi, for years I've been running a multiple monitor setup based on two
2 screens, on a few different machines.
3
4 Recently, I can not say exactly when but after system upgrades, I am
5 unable to open windows on the secondary monitor.
6
7 At first I thought this was related to ati-drivers as they cause lots of
8 issues anyway but today I got the same problem with another machine
9 running nvidia-drivers.
10
11 In the console (running X) all I see is:
12
13 xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :1
14
15 However, by starting a terminal at :0 and address the other monitor as
16 :0.1 (which is the correct name) I can start a terminal and from there
17 start everything. But that is quite inconvenient.
18
19 I don't really know how to debug this as there is so many different
20 factors involved, so got any clue on how to solve this? In both cases I
21 upgraded the system in one go, so I cant pinpoint a specific version of
22 any package without downgrading one at a time.
23
24 Xorg is setup as following:
25 2 monitors, 2 cards (multihead), 2 screens and serverlayout setting the
26 layout of the monitors.
27
28 As window manager I am using fluxbox.
29
30 # emerge -pvq fluxbox xorg-x11 xorg-server nvidia-drivers
31
32 [ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.9.2.901 USE="ipv6 nptl udev xorg
33 -dmx -doc -kdrive -minimal -static-libs -tslib"
34 [ebuild R ] x11-wm/fluxbox-1.1.1-r2 USE="imlib nls slit toolbar
35 truetype -gnome -newmousefocus -vim-syntax -xinerama"
36 [ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-x11-7.4-r1
37 [ebuild R ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.21 USE="(multilib)
38 -acpi -custom-cflags -gtk"
39
40 So, any ideas?