From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Remove redundant entries in "world" - howto
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:59:32
1 On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 3:23 AM, Helmut Jarausch
2 <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > does anybody know about an easy method to remove all entries from
6 > /var/lib/portage/world
7 > which would have been pulled in anyway
8 > even if they were not contained in world.
9 >
10 > My current attempt would be to write a script
11 > which executes emerge -vpc on each entry in world.
12 > If it wouldn't be removed it's obsolete in world.
13 >
14 > Unfortunately this has to be done in several rounds.
15 >
16 > Many thanks for a hint,
17 > Helmut.
21 In my experience the world file isn't huge - 50-100 lines - but only
22 if it contains the things that really need to be there. I've simply
23 commented out specific entries and run emerge -pvDuN @world to
24 determine if the entry wasn't necessary, and if it wasn't then removed
25 it. When I've boiled it down to things that need to be there (I.e. - I
26 can still run emerge -pvDuN @world and there would be no changes) then
27 I run emerge - p --depclean to look at what can be removed, make sure
28 it's OK, and then run depclean for real.
29
30 Hope this helps,
31 Mark