From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dhcpcd won't run at certain network points
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:15:10
1 On 14 March 2007, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Why am I always the one to get the wierd hardware issues? Here's my
5 > latest. The powers that be at work made me move my desk, and dhcpcd on
6 > *this* laptop doesn't work at *this* network point, or any of the other
7 > four in this row of desks, althought hey work OK on Windows. It's most
8 > certainly a cabling issue, I can go to the server room and plug a
9 > flylead into the *same*port* on the switch and it all works right. A
10 > static ip isn't an easy option as I move between different networks and
11 > don't want to have to keep editing resolv.conf. I'm not allowed to do
12 > my first reaction, which is to swap my outlet with a working one...
13 >
14 > tcpdump shows me this when I insert the network cable:
15 > 16:11:06.855229 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP,
16 > Request [|bootp]
17 > repeated 6 more times then it times out
18 >
19 > With a static ip, I do get full bandwidth, error free, just like it
20 > should be. So whatever this cabling issue is, it affects only bootp...
21 >
22 > hardware: Dell Latitude D810:
23 > NIC: 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751
24 > Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)
25
26 Have you tried to force your NIC down to 100Mb/s early in the boot process?
27 Assuming your network is FastEthernet, autonegotiation doesn't always work
28 properly.
29
30 Uwe
33 A fast and easy generator of fractals for KDE:
34 http://www.SysEx.com.na/iwy-1.0.tar.bz2
35 Proof of concept of a TSP solver for KDE:
36 http://www.SysEx.com.na/epat-0.1.tar.bz2
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list