From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] synaptic touchpad stopped scrolling!
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:21:38
1 > Probably the new evdev-driver overrides synaptics. If you do not need evdev
2 > and can live with the normal drivers like kbd for keyboard and synaptics,
3 > you can try to disable it.
4 I hope you don't consider this to be thread hijacking, but can you
5 point me to a simple and high-level (but not exaggeratedly
6 dumbed-down, as articles by mainstream media journalists tend to be)
7 explanation of what evdev is good for?
8 My only input devices are a PS2 keyboard with standard Brazilian
9 layout (with no foolish extra "multimedia" keys) and a PS2 mouse with
10 two buttons and one scroll wheel that also works as a third button. Do
11 I need/want evdev?
12
13 OT: I like to keep my system simple and disable what I don't use. I
14 like to be able to understand my system.
15 My point of view is, that when I keep my system simple (such as by
16 using Xfce with the minimal USE flag, instead of Gnome/KDE and foolish
17 3d effects), it not only gets very fast and stable, but also far
18 simpler allowing me to understand it. When something goes wrong in
19 Ubuntu, I often have little clue of the cause. When something goes
20 wrong in my simple Gentoo system, it is far easier to find the cause.
21
22 Speaking of Ubuntu, I have the impression that they are becoming a
23 system that Just Works most of the time, but if you are unlucky and it
24 doesn't work, it Just Doesn't Work and it is hard to find the cause. I
25 continue to advocate Ubuntu to Linux newcomers, but my own system will
26 remain Gentoo.
29 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds