From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pinentry doesn't work with Emacs anymore
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 15:53:06
1 On Saturday, 20 February 2021 15:22:45 GMT tastytea wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 > A short while ago, pinentry-gtk2 was removed from
4 > app-crypt/pinentry. Around the same time, app-crypt/gnupg was
5 > updated. Since then, I can not use the gpg-agent from whithin Emacs
6 > (--deamon) anymore. When I commit something with Magit, I get no
7 > password dialog but this error message instead:
8 >
9 > error: gpg failed to sign the data
10 >
11 > After I add the key to the agent in another way (with `echo "test" | gpg
12 > --clearsign` for example), it works in Emacs again. So it seems that
13 > there is something wrong with my pinentry setup.
14 >
15 > I tried pinentry-gnome3 and pinentry-qt5, it makes no
16 > difference. GPG_AGENT_INFO is known to Emacs.
17 >
18 > This is my ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf:
19 >
20 > default-cache-ttl 43200
21 > max-cache-ttl 86400
22 > default-cache-ttl-ssh 21600
23 > max-cache-ttl-ssh 86400
24 > pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry
25
26 I have the same entry in my gpg-agent.conf and it works fine, but I do not use
27 emacs.
30 > Does anybody know what the problem might be?
31 >
32 > Kind regards, tastytea
33
34 My /usr/bin/pinentry is linked to pinentry-qt:
35
36 $ ls -la /usr/bin/pinentry
37 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jun 21 2019 /usr/bin/pinentry -> pinentry-qt
38
39 You could set this manually, or with eselect, or I think your desktop
40 environment will set it for you.