From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CoreOS vulnerability inherited from Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 18:45:09
1 Michael Cook <mcook <at> mackal.net> writes:
4 > >> [1] https://coreos.com/blog/
5
6 > > Does this mean we need to do anything to improve the security of our
7 systems?
10 It's going to depend, but surely a wide audience needs to poke at this...
11
12 > I tried logging in as operator with any password, it did not work for
13 > me. Unsure if that's because of my SSH set up or not though. The blog
14 > post does however mention reverting their SSSD change did fix the issue,
15 > so I assume if you set up SSSD the same way they did you would have
16 > issues. With that being said, maybe it would be a good idea for the
17 > gentoo pam team to set up pambase to support SSSD and not cause issues.
18 > (Currently if you want to set up SSSD you are left to do it manually)
21 I simple went looking for a pam<*>.conf file to make a simple edit and
22 then test. It took me on a journey, so I posted here, figuring one
23 of the others had already ferreted out the details....
26 Oddly, I was looking at DPI (deep packet inspection) tools readily
27 available for gentoo, to test some protocols, including ssh*.
30 I found nDPI and libndpi in overlays and suricata, which purports to
31 be able to perform deep packet inspections and is Netfilter compatible.
32 Since dpi can be a big drain on resources (of a single host), I was
33 hoping somebody had already migrated a dpi family of codes to a gentoo
34 cluster of some sort. Naddah. Ziltchen. Verboten! Since much of routing and
35 network engines have move to clusters (sdn, nvf, etc) dpi is king
36 of the hill for hot analytics.....
39 Those folks deeply into penetration (professional assessment types) means
40 are the best source for understanding dpi semantics. Every thing I have
41 found where folks are migrating dpi to clusters, these companies, projects
42 and experts are being snapped up by large corps, agencies and otherwise
43 going 'off grid'. I'm not too sure what to make of all of this, but the pam
44 issue is only the tip of the berg.....ymmv.
48 hth,
49 James