From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 05:46:04
1 Kevin Chadwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 22:32:24 +0200
3 > nunojsilva@×××××××.pt (Nuno J. Silva) wrote:
4 >
5 >> My thanks, too! There's nothing like reading on some actual experience
6 >> with this. So this was once the reason to keep / separate. Not that
7 >> important anymore (but this is still no excuse to force people to keep
8 >> /usr in the same filesystem).
9 > Sorry but real world data is important and I am fully aware of the
10 > academic theorist problems compared to practical experience but this
11 > simply doesn't apply here. I didn't see any evidence or
12 > argument that a larger root conducting millions more writes is as safe
13 > as a smaller read only one perhaos not touched for months.
14 >
15 > The testing criteria were very generally put and just because an
16 > earthquake hasn't hit 200 building in the last 50 years is no reason to
17 > remove shock absorbers or other measures from sky scrapers.
22 Question. A file system, /usr for example, is mounted read only. The
23 system crashes for whatever reason such as a power failure. Since it is
24 mounted read only, would there be a larger or smaller risk of corrupted
25 data on that partition? From what I understand, the possible corruption
26 is from files not being written to the drive but since it is mounted
27 read only, then that removes that possibility.
28
29 Just checking on a thought here.
30
31 Dale
32
36 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!