From: Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Headless question": Harvesting the results...software needed.
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 17:47:23
1 > On Sep 30, 2014, at 20:36, "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> On 30 September 2014 16:12:31 CEST, Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 09/30/2014 10:05 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
7 >>> Suppose the GPS would already be attached
8 >>> to the board and works...
9 >>>
10 >>> Is there any free available software and data for
11 >>> strict offline useage (which does NOT calls
12 >>> to home), which is able to map GPS data to a street/land
13 >>> map?
14 >>> I need both: The maps themselves and the logic to read
15 >>> GPS coordinates and map movements and ways to those maps.
16 >>>
17 >>> Is something like that available for free or should
18 >>> I directly ask the NSA/CIA/FBI/...?
19 >>>
20 >>> Thank you very much in advance for any help!
21 >>> Best regards,
22 >>> mcc
23 >> The only project I know of that has openly available map data is
24 >> OpenStreetMap (openstreetmap.org). I know they have an API, and they
25 >> probably (not sure) have maps available for download.
26 >>
27 >> afaik the only way to combine various map data out of the box is to use
28 >> a GIS package like QGIS. You can write software to do this using the
29 >> proj4 library for an embedded box, not sure if anything for your
30 >> specific use case already exists and is open source.
31 >>
32 >> Alec
33 >
34 > Openstreetmap is a good bet.
35 >
36 > You might also have some luck if you look into PostGIS.
37 > It is an extension to postgresql, which might be overkill, but you might be able to use that in yiur Google searches.
38 >
39 > If borders would be nice and straight, it would be easy. Unfortunately they are not.
40
41 Yes. For example the land border of Finland is around 2000 km long and only it contains 52000 coordinates ;)
44 -Matti