From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting vanilla kernel 4.1.x
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 19:17:07
1 On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 6:40:01 PM Peter Weilbacher wrote:
2 > Hi Alexander,
3 >
4 > On Sun, 23 Aug 2015, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Peter Weilbacher
7 <newsspam@××××××××××.org> wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > > after successfully using kernel 4.0.5 (vanilla-sources) for a while, I
10 > > > upgraded to 4.1.5 last week and 4.1.6 today. I cannot boot either of
11 > > > them. On the screen I see
12 > > >
13 > > > Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
14 > > > Booting the kernel.
15 > > >
16 > > > as the last thing, then it just sits there.
17 > >
18 > > I am running vanilla-sources 4.1.6, and so far I have not had any
19 > > trouble booting it.
20 > >
21 > > Are you able to boot some of your previous kernels? If so, what does
22 > > your '/boot/grub/grub.cfg' look like?
23 > > What is the output of 'cat /etc/fstab' and 'ls -1 /boot'?
24 >
25 > I can still boot 4.0.5 fine, with the same setup. I use lilo, and I
26 > checked that I changed the two/four digits correctly in /etc/lilo.conf.
27 >
28 > By chance I left the boot sit there for more than the typical minute,
29 > and got multiple messages like
30 >
31 > INFO: rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU { 3} (t=60000 jiffies g=-256
32 c=-257 q=193)
33 > rcu_sched kthread starved for 50027 jiffies!
34 >
35 > right after the above "Booting the kernel." line.
36 >
37 > Do I need to activate a different kind of clocking or a CPU feature in
38 > 4.1.x?
39 >
40 > Peter.
43 Here's how I would go about it:
44
45 1. Add loglevel=7 to your kernel parameters and see what it prints before it
46 hangs.
47
48 2. Change your scheduler settings (ie. if you're using the preemptive
49 scheduler or voluntary premption scheduler switch to the regular one) and try
50 again.
51
52 3. From your kernel parameters I assume you're using the radeon free driver
53 right? If that's the case disable it (don't compile it in or just delete the
54 module) and try to boot wiith a framebuffer. If you're using the proprietary
55 driver it has problem with preemptive kernels, with the 3.18.x series it
56 started logging a lot of errors which I assume where warnings of some change
57 yet to come.
58
59 4. If all else fails clone the kernel repo (be prepared to download a 2GB
60 repo) and do a git bisect (google it) between the last kernel that worked and
61 the first that didn't. That will eventually give you the exact commit that
62 broke it. From there you can post on the mailing list for the relevant
63 subsystem or you could try emailing the dev that commited it.
66 Fernando Rodriguez