From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 04:56:30
1 On Mar 13, 2012 9:05 AM, "Mike Edenfield" <kutulu@××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > From: Dale [mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com]
4 > Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 7:23 PM
5 >
6 > > I like that quote. I may not be dev material but I know this /usr mess
7 > > is not right. The only reason it is happening is because of one or two
8 > > distros that push it to make it easier for themselves.
9 >
10 > If that's honestly what you think then I suspect you don't understand the
11 problem as well as you believe.
12 >
13 > The idea of trying to launch udevd and initialize devices without the
14 software, installed in /usr, which is required by those devices is a
15 configuration that causes problems in many real-world, practical situations.
16 >
17 > The requirement of having /usr on the same partition as / is also a
18 configuration that causes problems in many real-world, practical situations.
21 I quite often read about this, and after some thinking, I have to ask: why?
22
23 > The requirement to ensure that /usr is *somehow available* before
24 launching udevd is a configuration that, I am told, causes problems in some
25 specialized real-world, practical situations. (I am ignoring "problems"
26 such as "initramd might possibly break maybe" or "that's more work than I
27 want to do" as being the expected griping that always happens when you ask
28 a group of geeks to change something.)
31 When one's handling enterprise servers, "might possibly break" is a 95%
32 certainty of "you do that and I'll make sure to have a pink slip standing
33 by." :-)
34
35 Rgds,