From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] External firewire drive...
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:37:56
1 Hi there,
2
3 Can anyone give me some quick pointers to mounting an external
4 firewire drive under Gentoo, please?
5
6 I've just installed 2006.0 on a new system, and pretty much used the
7 exact same .config as the LiveCD's kernel when building my own
8 (`zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux.config`) so I'm guessing that
9 all I'm missing is some modprobes.
10
11 I thought that under udev, the kernel was supposed to be quite clever
12 about recognising devices. Do I need to emerge coldplug, or is there
13 anything else I can do to help things along?
14
15 If I boot from a LiveCD or Knoppix these are always very good about
16 finding all the devices in the system and making a mount point for
17 them - are there any utilities for my installed Gentoo system that
18 will do similar.
19
20 Many thanks in advance for any pointers,
21
22 Stroller.
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list