From: Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] -Os = Nono?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:35:13
1 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > More importantly, -O2 seems to be the "typical" optimization
3 > setting, and almost all free software packages are built and
4 > tested and generally "supported", for whatever that means in an
5 > open-source world, under -O2. If you report a bug in a package
6 > and you use -Os, the first thing the devs will ask is "recompile
7 > it using normal CFLAGS and try again."
8
9 Although I agree with your reasoning above, you are contradicting
10 yourself in the following two statements:
11
12 > At least, it's no more broken under -Os than under -O2.
13 > [...] benefits of using -Os over -O2 are minimal
14 > compared against the possible problems it might cause.
15
16 If -Os is no more broken than -O2, then it shouldn't cause any extra
17 problems. :)
18
19 > But given that disk space is dirt cheap
20
21 It's not about disk space, it's about the amount that needs to be
22 loaded from disk upon first run.
23
24 > and modern OS
25 > don't need to read an entire binary into memory to execute it,
26
27 But if the entire binary is larger, each coherent subsection will be
28 larger too, so more will have to be loaded with -O2 than with -Os.
29 Processors are fast enough and getting faster all the time, it is
30 only those disks that don't get any quicker -- not until we drop
31 all those spinning platters and go solid state.
32
33 Benno
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list