From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to clean up
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 22:36:51
1 Manuel McLure wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 2:47 PM n952162 <n952162@×××.de
3 > <mailto:n952162@×××.de>> wrote:
4 >
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > I'm running out of space and I see I have many versions of all
8 > pkgs.  Is
9 > the proper way to get rid of all older tarballs - but retain the
10 > current
11 > ones - to simply use the --clean option with emerge?  Any other
12 > options
13 > necessary?
16 > You might want to
17 > give https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Remove_obsoleted_distfiles
18 > a read.
19 >
20 > --
21 > Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@××××××.org <mailto:manuel@××××××.org>>
22 > <http://www.mclure.org>
23 > ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
24 > no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft
27 That above is how I clean up mine as well.  When I do a large update, I
28 give it a few days to make sure everything works and then run the following:
31 eclean-dist -dq
32
33 eclean-pkg -dq
36 The -d option tells it to leave only what is installed and needed for
37 recovery.  It leaves a bare minimum of packages.  If you omit that, it
38 will leave any package versions that is still listed in the tree.
39 That's my recollection of it anyway.  You may want to start just running
40 with no options at all.  It's the most conservative method.  If you
41 still need more space, add -d to get more things deleted.  The -q just
42 means quiet.  I think it has a -p for pretend so you could run as -p and
43 then -pd to see the difference.  The options work the same for both
44 commands.
45
46 One of those should work.  I might add, the man page isn't bad.  It
47 gives quite a bit of details and even examples.
48
49 Hope that helps.
50
51 Dale