From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Linus ranting about Gnome3
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 23:07:59
1 On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Am Samstag, 16. Juni 2012, 23:12:48 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
4 >> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 00:00:04 +0300
5 >>
6 >> Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> > On 16/06/12 21:27, walt wrote:
8 >> > > I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon
9 >> > > and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the
10 >> > > smartphone market.
11 >> >
12 >> > Ah yes, the death of the desktop PC, which is happening for 15 years
13 >> > now.
14 >> >
15 >> > Are we dead yet?
16 >>
17 >> Fine comment.
18 >>
19 >> Yes indeed, Microsoft's *real* cash cow - millions of corporate
20 >> desktops running $LATEST_WINDOWS and $LATEST_OFFICE are all going to
21 >> die out inthe next year. Not.
22 >
23 > and in corporate speak that means Windows XP and Office 2003/2007
24 >
25 > because they work, they don't get in the way of doing things, the people are
26 > trained and nobody needs to smudge around on the screen,
27
28 The most effective way I can imagine for keeping me on-task: Force me
29 to use a Windows XP workstation.
30
31 I won't be using _any_ personal credentials through the web browser or
32 any other part of the system. I'm not taking that risk on a
33 post-support version of Windows.
34
35 *grouses about people holding back, forcing the usage of particularly
36 insecure versions of operating systems*
37 *grouses at the IPv6 luddites, too; I'd love to use SSL on more
38 domains, but I only have one IPv4 server IP to work with.*
42 :wq