From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethernet card not working, tried tulip drivers...
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:02:07
1 On 27 Oct 2009, at 23:32, Marcus Wanner wrote:
2 > ...
3 > To sum it up: How do I figure out what the name of my card is, and
4 > after that, what driver do I need?
5
6 Boot once again with the LiveCD, and the lspci and lshw commands
7 should work from there.
8
9 You can also run `lsmod` which will show which driver modules are
10 currently running in the LiveCD environment - the appropriate one is
11 likely to be amongst them.
12
13 From the LiveCD you can run these commands and redirect to a text
14 file on a USB drive - i.e. `lspci -v > /mnt/foo/file.txt`.
15
16 Also from the LiveCD, you can chroot back into the system you've
17 started building, and have network access. Follow the steps of the
18 handbook just as you did before - the disk is already partitioned, so
19 you can skip that bit; skip to mounting the disks at /mnt/gentoo, /mnt/
20 gentoo/boot &c, then do the mount where you bind /proc and execute the
21 chroot command just like you did before. Then you can `emerge sys-apps/
22 pciutils` to install lspci on the hard-drive of the new system and you
23 can add any other utilities you need (some of which might not be
24 included on the liveCD).
25
26 I find this easier, because once the liveCD has loaded you can set the
27 liveCD's root password, start ssh and you no longer need to do your
28 back in crouching over the new PC which is invariably, during the
29 duration of the build, located somewhere inconvenient, such as the
30 floor or the top of the sever closet. You can then return to your
31 comfy chair and continue your work over the network.
32
33 Stroller.