From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] getting somewhere -- was about a bug
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 19:55:34
1 Hi all,
2
3 A bunch of things came together in the mother of all
4 screw-ups.
5
6 One, somehow the /boot line in fstab got set to
7 noauto. How that happened have no idea.
8
9 Two, at some point I must have compiled a kernel after
10 chrooting without making sure /dev/<boot> was mounted
11 on /boot. Then, when I copied over bzImage it landed
12 under the empty /boot dir on the root device.
13
14 Three, when I was told to save .config somewhere then
15 clean the source then cp .config back and make
16 oldconfig, I couldn't find it because I looked in the
17 wrong dir!
18
19 Four, I made another kernel but this time neglected to
20 include the proper SATA drivers. When I said "no
21 warning" before the panic, there was actually lots but
22 I took them for neutral messages.
23
24 So that's sorted.
25
26 Just one little problem left. From the boot console:
27
28 udevd-event[3787]: udev_make_node: mknod(/dev/ttyS0,
29 020660, 4, 64)
30 failed: File exists
31 udevd-event[3788]: udev_make_node: mknod(/dev/ttyS1,
32 020660, 4, 65)
33 failed: File exists
34 udevd-event[3789]: udev_make_node: mknod(/dev/ttyS2,
35 020660, 4, 66)
36 failed: File exists
37 udevd-event[3790]: udev_make_node: mknod(/dev/ttyS3,
38 020660, 4, 67)
39 failed: File exists
40
41 [ !! ] *
42
43 This must have something to do with the end of console
44 boot just before login where it says:
45
46 /usr/sbin/ppd/: Couldn't stat /dev/ttyS0: Too many
47 levels of symbolic links
48
49 So in the end, I still can't dial out, on that box
50 anyway.
51
52 -mw
53
55 Do You Yahoo!?
56 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
57 http://mail.yahoo.com
58 --
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list