From: jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Graphics Card Advice
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 10:48:35
1 On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 10:17:37 +0200
2 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3
4 > On 04/29 06:05, jdm wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > I have just bought a RX 5600 XT and after a few issues with screen
8 > > freezing after kernel starts loading, resolved by compiling EFIFB
9 > > (no previous FB compiled in) the card has been working fine for 2
10 > > days booting normally. The machine then started not to boot, not
11 > > even to get to BIOS (so you couldn't even press DEL to get to BIOS
12 > > screen). I took the card out and replaced with old card and PC
13 > > started fine. I tried this 4 times and still with new card PC would
14 > > not even POST. I don't have a little speaker to here if there are
15 > > any beeps.
16 > >
17 > > I am returning the card as it feels like that is the problem but
18 > > have a nagging suspicion this could be some other problem like
19 > > power supply. I have 700W coolermaster PSU which should be ample
20 > > (according to websites) but is 9 years (amazingly they had the
21 > > foresight to provide 8 and 6 pin cables which were both plugged in).
22 > >
23 > > My next issue is do I get another 5600 XT (different brand) or are
24 > > nvidia equivalent better? I have always been an AMD fan. Could I
25 > > end up in the same boat.
26 > >
27 > > PC spec - ASUS 470 Pro MB with 2700 Ryzen.
28 > >
29 > > Any advice would be much appreciated?
30 > >
31 > > John
34 > Hi John,
35 >
36 > what graphicscard you want depends heavily on what you want to
37 > do with your PC...
38 > What are the tasks, which put a heavy load on your PC/graphicscard and
39 > which you are do regularily?
40 > Do you do a lot of rendering (Blender for example) or video
41 > (re-)encoding? Do you AI related things (tesorflow for example)?
42 > Or is gaming you main application?
43 >
44 > Furthermore: You CPU must fit your graphicscard performancewise.
45 > It makes no sense to choose "a performance beast" and to combine
46 > it with a "entry level being".
47 > The fastest graphicscard can onlu as fast, as data are coming from
48 > the CPU and vice versa.
49 >
50 > On the internet you find a combination of the Ryzen 5 3600 with
51 > one of the nvidia RTX 20[678] SUPER cards. The RTX 2060 SUPER
52 > comes with 8GByte of video ram instead of 6 GBYte of the RTX 2060.
53 >
54 > "Linus Tech Tipps" and "Tom's Hardware" are probablu to look for.
55 >
56 > HTH!
57 >
58 > Cheers!
59 > Meino
63 Thanks for advice.
64
65 I like playing games and noticed with current card that FPS is low on a
66 lot of games.
67 I have tried to get a balance between not paying too much and specs of
68 monitor (2560x1440 @60 fps). According to GPU check I should get max of
69 80 fps @ 1440. So thought I would have some left in the bank with 5600
70 XT.
71
72 I'll check CPU to GPU rate.
73
74 There's too much choice and now a little worried that next card might
75 not work again.
76
77 John