From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Locking down a wireless network
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 22:15:40
1 >>>> My Gentoo router's wireless network is encrypted via WPA and doesn't
2 >>>> DHCP. I'd like to take this a step further in case my WPA key gets
3 >>>> hacked. Can I issue only certain IPs to certain MAC addresses?
4 >>>>
5 >>>> Does WPA2 require hardware support?
6 >>>
7 >>> I don't think so. It should just be a driver/firmware update if you've
8 >>> got some device that supports WPA and not WPA2. The AES encryption of
9 >>> WPA2 requires a little more hardware power than WEP or WPA normally
10 >>> uses, but I don't think it needs any special chip or anything like
11 >>> that.
12 >>>
13 >>> You can also do VPN over your wifi connection, and require it for
14 >>> access to the rest of your network or the internet. At least then if
15 >>> someone hacks your wireless key, they still can't do anything without
16 >>> having your VPN certificate.
17 >>
18 >> Actually, VPN would rule out my wifi cell phone I bet.
19 >
20 > Maybe not -- I don't know what kind of phone you've got. I have a
21 > Nokia N95 which runs Symbian OS 9 and there are 3 VPN clients that I
22 > know of (and the first one is free):
23 >
24 > http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.com/mobile_vpn_downloads.php
25 > http://www.ncp-e.com/en/vpn-szenarien-produkte/vpn-produkte/secure-entry-client.html
26 > http://www.symvpn.com/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductId=17
27 >
28 > I believe Windows Mobile devices have VPN support built in, but I've
29 > never tried it. For iPhone or other phone OS i have no idea as I've
30 > never actually used them.
31 >
32 > Paul
33
34 Thanks Paul, mine is a Nokia N82 and I'm checking into that now.
35
36 - Grant