From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Lost free space on /
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:17:36
1 On 06/11/2009 04:52 PM, Mike Kazantsev wrote:
2 > On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:17:37 +0300
3 > Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 >> It's only there where's disk activity. For example, if I have 4 or more
6 >> torrents downloading. When that happens, typing "mc" (to start midnight
7 >> commander) needs about 4 seconds. It's almost instant without LVM.
8 >>
9 >> The speed impact on one of my servers (100+ shell users) was dramatic.
10 >> 10 seconds for a simple "ls /" for example.
11 >
12 > It's not like LVM is modelling the universe' operation on your CPU, but
13 > that's where impact should be, while disk activity (and data written)
14 > should be roughly the same, aside from possible fragmentation if you
15 > (re)create lv's on a daily basis, so prehaps it's not the disk but the
16 > cpu where's the real bottleneck is?
17
18 I know it's not the CPU since there's 'top' to check this.