From: Leonardo Guilherme <leonardo.guilherme@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chrome and everything
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 18:24:01
1 2011/6/2 András Csányi <sayusi.ando@×××××.com>
2
3 > Hi All,
4 >
5 > Something strange happen here. I have seen few things in Linux world
6 > but this is very new for me!
7 >
8 > I have this fantastic browser called Chromium (12.0.742.68) and I
9 > really like it. But, sometimes, when I see flash videos on different
10 > sites (youtube, cnn, bbc) the whole chromium become frozen and basicly
11 > impossible to kill it. (The comfortable way is left click on the
12 > taskbar and choose "Close" and KDE takes care of to kill the
13 > application. ) I'm aware of I'm using Linux and the Linux desktop and
14 > the flash are not the best friends ever. So my usual activity if my
15 > browser become frozen by flash is the next: (1), start a konsole, (2),
16 > start htop, (3) and kill the process, (4) restart the browser, (5)
17 > happy.
18 > But, in this case, htop doesn't start. I can see the prompt and the
19 > command "htop" but the cursor is disappeared and nothing. Just waiting
20 > for something. The konsole doesn't react CTRL-c. I've tried this in
21 > xterm terminal and the result was the same. In normal case I examine
22 > the htop process by strace but I can't figure out what is the PID
23 > number because of ps aux (see below). Usually I'm using strace from
24 > htop.
25 >
26 > I thought "ok, no problem, I'm well experienced linux user and I know
27 > there always is another way to kill a process". So, I typed "ps aux |
28 > grep chrom" command and the result was the same as htop. I could see
29 > the prompt and my command and nothing. The cursor is disappeared and
30 > nothing. We waited for something. Here I thought that the X server
31 > could be the root cause. I pushed CTRL-DEL-F1 and I thought that "here
32 > is my little console and I'm able to do everything". But the result
33 > was the same when I wanted to start htop.
34 >
35 > Here was the point when I became angry and restarted my machine. The
36 > restarting process stopped at "Terminating processes" and my machine
37 > didn't restart just wait for something for minutes! I had to push
38 > reset button after 5 minutes.
39 >
40 > Strange, isn't?
41 >
42 > Has anybody any thought, idea what the hell happen?
45 Those lockups reminds me of hard disks lockups, when nothing works anymore
46 exepct what was already been loaded on RAM. Maybe flash/chrome is writing to
47 a broken area of your disk. Check the HD light, weird noises. Or RAM. I have
48 no such problems of things crashing with flash, but had experienced flash UI
49 lockups in the past.
50
51 Why don't you test with another browsers? That will help identifying the
52 problem. Check dmesg, too, it might give you some tips of failed disk.
53
54 My two cents.
55 Good luck.
56