From: Benoit St-Pierre <bstpierr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] RAID with mixed drive sizes
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:00:14
1 I'm in the planning stages of setting up a file server and am considering
2 using RAID.
3
4 My concern is that my drive sizes are mixed. I have two 500GB SATA drives, a
5 320GB IDE and a 250GB IDE.
6
7 I would like to set these up so that the maximum amount of disk space is
8 usable, but still be able to recover from any one drive failing. I would
9 also like to be able to add drives of any size as easily as possible.
10
11 Is it possible to split each disk into a bunch of 10GB partitions, giving me
12 157 partitions in total, and specifying that I want to have 50 partitions
13 worth of parity info so that if any 50 partitions go bad (ie: one of the
14 500GB disks) the RAID can recover? Adding/replacing would be simple if I can
15 change the amount of parity info to keep, but I don't know if this is
16 actually possible. It looks as though spares need to be explicitly given so,
17 if a disk with lots of spares goes down, it's not going to work.
18
19 Another option I see is if I create 4x 250GB partitions (one on each drive)
20 in one RAID5 array, 3x 70GB partitions (on the 3 larger drives) in another
21 RAID5 array, and two 120GB in a RAID1 array. The RAID1 array reduces my
22 total available disk space a bit, which is less than ideal and
23 adding/replacing disks would be more of a headache.
24
25 I remember reading something about using LVM and RAID to achieve this, but
26 everything I've found has been for identical drives.
27
28 Any suggestions?