From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:51:49
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> <SNIP>
5 >>>
6 >>> Right now, if Gentoo fails to boot because of the init thingy, I have no
7 >>> idea how to fix it.  None at all.
8 >>
9 >> I understand. My question is why are you even using the initrd?
10 >> There's no requirement to use it today, at least on stable. There's
11 >> not even a discussion I've seen that says we _ever_ have to use it if
12 >> we don't use a separate /usr, so I'm not understanding where the
13 >> problem is.
14 >>
15 >> This is just my 2 cents, but assuming you have a lot of disk space why
16 >> not do a second Gentoo install, use initrd there to learn about it,
17 >> and just STOP doing updates to your current environment. If you don't
18 >> update it then it's not going to fail due to an update, right?
19 >>
20 >> I'm not picking on you or anything like that. It just seems to me that
21 >> you're worrying about the worst instead of doing the easiest. Let's
22 >> let the heavy lifters do some work, watch people get through it, and
23 >> only then decide what to do. No reason to cause problems with our
24 >> systems. I've masked a few packages and am being careful about
25 >> updates.
26 >>
27 >> Good luck,
28 >> Mark
33 > Right now it won't be a problem but when I get my set up like I want it,
34 > it will be.  I'm trying to learn it on a system that doesn't care right
35 > now.  As posted elsewhere, if I boot with the init thingy then I can't
36 > su to root.  My solution right now was to boot without the init thingy.
37 >  However, if I get to where I can set up my system like I want, that
38 > would be a problem for me.  This is holding me back from doing several
39 > things on my system and one of them is using LVM for everything but /
40 > and /boot.
41 >
42 > Dale
43
44 I understand. Like they say 'in war all the plans change when you fire
45 the first bullet'. Just make new plans. Do the easy thing for awhile.
46 Do nothing. Just read, watch, learn but most important don't do
47 updates. Just wait. Patience is a virtue!
48
49 Cheers,
50 Mark