From: ralfconn <mentadent47@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 12:08:42
1 On 11/11/22 07:25, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I been stuck on gentoo-sources 5.14.15 for a while.  I tried upgrading
5 > to I think 5.16 and then more recently 5.18.  I upgraded like I always
6 > do, copy .config over and run make oldconfig.  Once I get everything in
7 > /boot, init thingy and all, I update grub.  When I get around to
8 > rebooting, the new kernels always fail part way through booting.  I
9 > can't recall the error since I last tried a newer kernel several months
10 > ago.
11 >
12 > I'm about to try to jump to version 6.0.5 which is latest in the tree.
13 > Is there some major change that causes copying .config file from 5.14 to
14 > 5.18 or higher to break?  Do I need to configure a new kernel from
15 > scratch in other words?  While I try to answer each question the best I
16 > can, either I'm breaking something or something else breaks preventing
17 > updating from older versions.  I just don't know which it is. Me or it.
18 >
19 I've had a similar experience recently. I was using LTS (5.15) due to
20 old, no longer supported Nvidia video card, when I switched to nouveau I
21 tried 6.0.x but no go, either USB3 or USB2 where working, but not both.
22 After much fiddling with .config I ended up booting the PC from USB with
23 a recent, working binary distribution - Ubuntu 22.04 - and compared its
24 .config with mine, and found out the problem was in one of the kernel
25 boot parameters, not in the .config!
26
27 If you find the binary distribution kernel works, lsmod will tell you
28 which modules are actually used on your machine so you can pick just
29 those in your config. For the .config comparison, meld works just fine.
30
31 raffaele