From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: Gentoo Users <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] No system list
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 00:44:55
1 I have a few older systems (~6-10 years in use) that have no system
2 list. Over the years there have been various disasters and methods of
3 managing the software with the result that I have had to run regenworld
4 amongst other things.
5
6 So, how can I restore "system"? - the machine below has 115 packages
7 listed by depclean, and with a couple I know as critical - but its the
8 ones I dont know that are worrying me :)
9
10 BillK
14 myth1 ~ # emerge --depclean -vp
15
16 * Depclean may break link level dependencies. Thus, it is
17 * recommended to use a tool such as `revdep-rebuild` (from
18 * app-portage/gentoolkit) in order to detect such breakage.
19 *
20 * Always study the list of packages to be cleaned for any obvious
21 * mistakes. Packages that are part of the world set will always
22 * be kept. They can be manually added to this set with
23 * `emerge --noreplace <atom>`. Packages that are listed in
24 * package.provided (see portage(5)) will be removed by
25 * depclean, even if they are part of the world set.
26 *
27 * As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
28 * unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved. As a
29 * consequence, it is often necessary to run `emerge --update
30 * --newuse --deep @world` prior to depclean.
31 !!! You have no system list.
32 !!! Proceeding is likely to break your installation.
33
34 Calculating dependencies... done!