From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Google / Oracle / Java / etc (was: [gentoo-user] Re: any one using ubuntu phones?)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 15:37:55
1 On Tue, Jun 30 2015, James wrote:
2
3 > I think I just heard a news report that Google lost a long term
4 > legal/financial battle with Oracle over java. It seems now that google
5 > (android and any thing that uses java) is going to have to pay
6 > Oracle some 'pal_a_monies' ? Or did I here that wrong?
7 >
8 > If so, I'm sure google and lots of folks are scrambling to replace
9 > java.....?
10
11 Yes the supreme court refused to hear google's appeal to the Federal
12 Circuit's decision (this despite my being a signatory to an amicus brief
13 asking them to hear the appeal :-) ).
14
15 I believe "The lawsuit will now return to the trial court to decide
16 Google’s fair use defense to Oracle’s API copyright claim."
17
18 A sad day,
19 allan