From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Sharing /home and swap
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 02:46:07
1 On 12/28/2011 04:21 AM, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I usually use Gentoo as my "normal" Linux but a third party app I'm
4 > about to start using only runs on SUSE. To this end, I'm about to set
5 > aside a smaller partition and install the minimal amnount of SUSE I need
6 > to run the app. My question is regarding /home and swap. Is there
7 > anything in my current Gentoo /home and swap that "locks" them to the
8 > Gentoo install or can I share them between the two installs? What I mean
9 > by share is that when I boot up Gentoo can I mount /home and swap and
10 > everything is fully accessible and then reboot into SUSE and once again
11 > mount them and everything is once again fully accessible?
12
13 At a low level, only swap can't be shared 100% due to suspend to disk.
14 If you are not using suspend to disk, then you can share swap without
15 any problems. But if you suspend one OS and then boot into the other,
16 the suspend data is going to be corrupted. At best you'll crash when
17 trying to resume, at worst you'll resume OK but will get corrupted data.
18
19 At the OS level, /home can be shared without problems. At the
20 application level (and I'm talking about KDE, Gnome and other DEs here),
21 you could get bugs or weird behavior due to using different versions of
22 the same DE.