From: Joshua Schmidlkofer <joshland@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BIG reiserfs problem
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:30:03
1 Daniels advice is actually the best that you can get. It will give
2 you the smallest chance of corruption due out of order journal commits
3 that caching can cause.
4
5 js
8 On 10/31/06, Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> wrote:
9 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
10 > > On Tuesday 31 October 2006 11:04, Uwe Thiem wrote:
11 > >
12 > >> On 31 October 2006 09:17, Alan McKinnon wrote:
13 > >>
14 > >>> I find it useful to keep in mind that XFS is a file-system (i.e. a
15 > >>> system for files), and not necessarily a severly disk-bound
16 > >>> filesystem
17 > >>>
18 > >> Would you mind to elaborate on this? I simply do not get your point.
19 > >>
20 > >
21 > > Historically SGI was very strong in graphics, and those applicatiosn
22 > > tended to generate massive amounts of temporary files that had a short
23 > > life and only the final version needs to be written to persistent
24 > > storage, very well suited to aggressive caching and other similar
25 > > speedups.
26 > >
27 > > SGI's engineers could get away with this because they could guarantee
28 > > that power loss to the machine wouldn't happen, so the potential data
29 > > loss on a power outage didn't happen either. This sounds a bit weird to
30 > > those of us raised on Intel where we pay close attention to getting
31 > > everything on disk ASAP with as little performance loss as possible,
32 > > but it's a perfectly reasonable system for an engineer to implement on
33 > > the kind of hardware SGI were building.
34 > >
35 > > That's why I say XFS is designed to not be tightly bound to the physical
36 > > disk if the admin chooses to set it up that way, and the file system
37 > > becomes more of a collection of directories and files that might never
38 > > even be stored on a disk at all
39 > >
40 > > alan
43 > "..we pay close attention to getting everything on disk ASAP with as little performance loss as possible.."
44 >
45 > Then I would propose you to use "hdparm -W0 /dev/(what-ever)" to disable the write caching (no matter which FS you use). Nothing can give 100% guarantee against power failure.
48 > --
49 > Best regards,
50 > Daniel
53 > --