From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Binary packages for a different amd64 flavor
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 03:12:05
On 2018-06-13 02:57, David Haller wrote:

> First of all, I've seen quite a big boost just by using '-O3'!
You understand that I'm complaining about _compilation_ times, right? From my POV, -O3 globally will make the problem much worse. Aside: I do have it on for a few packages where it is obviously a big win, such as media codecs.
> ==== emerge-atom === > #!/bin/sh > FEATURES="buildpkg" > PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/laptop_binpkg_dir" > export CFLAGS="..." > export CXXFLAGS="..." > ... > emerge "$@" > ====
I like the simplicity of this suggestion, but it makes the whole configuration asymmetric, which doesn't fit with my way of keeping it in a git repo with branches for the different hosts. The chroot is a better match for that. In the meantime, because I have some marginally free CPU resources available, I tried distcc. I can't get it to work in portage at all; it fails to create some lockfile due to wrong permissions. It may not be hard to fix it but it makes me suspect the setup doesn't get much testing, if any. -- Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet, if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup. To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.