From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Binary packages for a different amd64 flavor
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 03:12:05
1 On 2018-06-13 02:57, David Haller wrote:
2
3 > First of all, I've seen quite a big boost just by using '-O3'!
4
5 You understand that I'm complaining about _compilation_ times, right?
6 From my POV, -O3 globally will make the problem much worse.
7 Aside: I do have it on for a few packages where it is obviously a big
8 win, such as media codecs.
9
10 > ==== emerge-atom ===
11 > #!/bin/sh
12 > FEATURES="buildpkg"
13 > PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/laptop_binpkg_dir"
14 > export CFLAGS="..."
15 > export CXXFLAGS="..."
16 > ...
17 > emerge "$@"
18 > ====
19
20 I like the simplicity of this suggestion, but it makes the whole
21 configuration asymmetric, which doesn't fit with my way of keeping it in
22 a git repo with branches for the different hosts. The chroot is a
23 better match for that.
24
25 In the meantime, because I have some marginally free CPU resources
26 available, I tried distcc. I can't get it to work in portage at all; it
27 fails to create some lockfile due to wrong permissions. It may not be
28 hard to fix it but it makes me suspect the setup doesn't get much
29 testing, if any.
32 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
33 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
34 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
35 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.