From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnu screen - copy'n'paste
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 03:54:39
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> [14-10-28 02:24]:
2 > On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 5:09 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> [14-10-27 22:56]:
4 > >> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
5 > >> > Hi,
6 > >> >
7 > >> > I am using screen to log into my beaglebone embedded computer, which
8 > >> > runs Gentoo (of course!) like this:
9 > >> >
10 > >> > ssh -t root@192.168.178.27 screen -R -d
11 > >> >
12 > >> > . This makes it possible to detach the terminal and shutdown the PC,
13 > >> > while the beagle still runs processes...
14 > >> >
15 > >> > BUT:
16 > >> > Unfortunately I cannot copy and paste things from my PC to a started
17 > >> > session like the way described above.
18 > >> >
19 > >> > What is the problem here? ssh? screen? Or...simply my (mis-)
20 > >> > understanding of the whole thing ?
21 > >>
22 > >> What do you mean by "copy and paste"? C-k/C-y in the console?
23 > >> C-S-c/C-S-v in an X terminal like gnome-terminal? Select by the mouse
24 > >> and then middle click?
25 > >>
26 > >> Regards.
27 > >> --
28 > >> Canek Peláez Valdés
29 > >> Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
30 > >> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
31 > >>
32 > >
33 > > I mean the UNIX classic, not the Windows stuff:
34 > > Mouse Left: Select/Copy
35 > > Mouse Middle: paste
36 >
37 > That's implemented by your terminal program, AFAIU. It should not
38 > matter what machine do you connect to, the other side should not even
39 > be aware about the selected text, and when you past it with
40 > middle-click, it should receive it like normal keyboard strokes.
41 >
42 > What does "echo $TERM" says in the beaglebone?
43 >
44 > Regards.
45 > --
46 > Canek Peláez Valdés
47 > Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
48 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
51 TERM is set to xterm-256color, which is the TERM setting, which
52 I use on my PC Gentoo-Linux also.
53 Copying text from terminal to terminal on my PC only does not
54 create any problems...
55
56 Mysterious...
57