From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Floorplan software for Linux?
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:55:31
1 On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2009-03-25, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 <SNIP>
5 >
6 > I have a latptop that's set up to dual boot Gentoo and XP. In
7 > the past I booted into XP to run one or two apps (mostly H&R
8 > Block Tax Cut).  The NTFS partition is rather small, and
9 > every time I want to do something under windows, I end up having
10 > to futz around trying to free up disk space.
11
12 No!! Too hard!
13
14 I'm set up the same way on one of my machine but I installed the
15 Windows ext3 driver. Now my Windows programs can access or even be
16 installed on a Linux partition. I created a directory on the ext3
17 drive where I installed the Windows programs and don't have to mess
18 with these disk space issues anymore. Granted, I wouldn't really trust
19 this driver on a ext3 partition I *really* cared about so I'm careful
20 about where I allow it to write, but it does work me and hasn't caused
21 any problems that I know of in the 2 years I've used it.
22
23 http://www.fs-driver.org/
24
25 I like the vmware solution better though as I can use Windows from
26 within Gentoo. It's fun to see a complete Windows desktop in a window,
27 but it has it's problems also. Overall it's probably the primary way
28 I'll be going in the future though.
29
30 Hope this helps, at least with ideas.
31
32 Cheers,
33 Mark