From: Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recommendation for a router/WAP
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 12:36:28
1 In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
2 >
3 > On 02/02/2012, at 11:02, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I am asking for a recommendation of a router/wap. I know the
6 >> wired/wireless tradeoffs.
7 >>
8 >> thanks, allan
11 > Sorry, read it as wired or wireless.
12 >
13 > Check out the buffalo routers -I have a G300NH which while it has a
14 > few early reports of bad wifi, it's been faultless for me. After a
15 > couple of months I changed the custom ddwrt firmware for real ddwrt
16 > (basically because I could!) and it's always been problem free.
17 >
18 > My limited experience with 1G has been mixed - usually don't notice
19 > much of a difference though its occasionally wow! - mostly cisco
20 > devices though.
21
22 I can second the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. I run it with Openwrt rather
23 than ddwrt and I find it runs flawlessly, though I only run it with a
24 few wireless laptops and a wired server. Everthing works as it should. I
25 love the ease of configuration that is provided by Openwrt, plus the
26 flexibility of having IPV6 available.
29 Regards,
30 Gregory.