From: Don Jerman <djerman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub heartbreaker
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:13:01
1 On 4/24/08, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 [...]
5 > In the screen shot provided note that it appears grub is expecting an
6 > intramfs and only lists those types of devices, rejecting both
7 > (hd0,0) and /dev/sda3.
8 >
9 > http://www.jtan.com/~reader/vu/disp.cgi
12 I think you're in kernel-land when you get those errors, and your
13 kernel is built to use an initrd which it doesn't find (because you
14 don't give it on the command line). I could be mistaken but that's
15 what I see there. Is there an initrd image in the root of the boot
16 partition (next to the kernel)? Try specifying that on the command
17 line.
18
19 Alternatively, check that your kernel is configured correctly for the
20 chipset that the vmware is emulating - it may just be missing the
21 vmware "hardware" and falling back to the non-existent initrd for more
22 drivers. You may need to compile another kernel to proceed, or build
23 an initrd with the missing drivers. (unfortunately I don't do vmware
24 so I don't know what it needs)
25 --
26 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list