From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD vs. Intel on Gentoo?
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:39:06
1 On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 10:07 -0700, Grant wrote:
2 > I had become an AMD guy, but I think I'm hearing that Intel is beating
3 > AMD in performance tests. Plus my AMD64 X2 desktop should be much
4 > faster than my Intel laptop but is actually slower. What do you guys
5 > think?
6 >
7 > - Grant
8
9 I work at the German Aerospace Center (basically the German NASA). We've
10 been using AMD CPUs for a long time on our clusters and workstations
11 because they were not only cheaper but also faster on floating point
12 operations whereas Intel was faster on integer operations. Now we are
13 switching to Intel because AMD lost this advantage and has problems
14 delivering the ordered number of CPUs.
15 I personally stick with AMD because they have a factory in Germany and I
16 don't want Intel to rule the market as they've done before AMD came up
17 with the Athlon XP.