From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] linux boot logo in 2.6.29-gentoo sources
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:48:36
1 Jorge Morais wrote:
2 > On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 03:36:41 +0500
3 > Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:13:38 -0300
6 >> Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> If you had upgraded because of a needed feature, I assume you would
9 >>> have read about the release, and thus would know about Tuz.
10 >>> So you upgraded to a ~arch kernel without any need.
11 >>> Why?
12 >> The question is probably not adressed to me, but...
13 >>
14 >> It's still a way to check out these new features hands-on :)
15 > It's a kernel.
16 >> And while it's ~arch on gentoo, it's actually marked 'stable' by
17 >> developers, and, since gentoo ebuild does pretty much nothing but
18 >> unpacking it, it should be pretty much as stable as any non-~arch
19 >> package.
22 > Even if it already released, it has a higher chance of bugs than a
23 > more established kernel.
24 >
25 > Waiting for the package to become stable on Gentoo is not just about
26 > ebuild bugs; it is also about waiting for enough users in general to
27 > test the upstream package, and Gentoo users in particular to test the
28 > package within Gentoo.
29 >
30 > And I don't know about the usual quality of brand new Linux
31 > releases, but in general, I believe upstream developers want to
32 > release early (to get testers and updated contributions), while
33 > a distribution may wait until the software is ready and tested.
36 > Cheers,
37 > Jorge
40 I personally do it to get all of the code updates. all of my boxes are
41 on ~arch for gentoo-sources / hardened-sources and I haven't had 1
42 problem yet. Also, the kernel is the last place that you want to drag
43 your feet for updates. If there's a bug in the kernel I want to have it
44 fixed asap. Granted you can also argue that I'm injecting buggy code.
45 It's two sides of the same coin.
48 Eric Martin
49 Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F