From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KVM problems - anyone know _why_ it happens?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 18:23:58
1 On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM, G.Wolfe Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/22/2012 12:42 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I played a bit with get-edid | parse-edid. Logically that stuff even
5 >> working says the VGA monitor cable is bidirectional. I started wondering if
6 >> the KVM messes up the data coming back, or what else might be going on.
7 >> Thanks for the ideas, Mark
8 >
9 > Many of the cheap KVM models do, indeed, mess up the EDID data coming from
10 > the monitor.  I suspect that this is from old design specs that have too
11 > much pull-up/pull-down on the EDID lead since the boxen haven been
12 > re-engineered for newer, higher resolution and higher speed monitors.
13 >
14 > I have had problems specifically with the BELKIN KVMs.
15 >
16 > It may also be that the video drivers for Linux are just enough different
17 > (necessarily) from the MSFT drivers to not reliably sense the EDID return
18 > signals.
19 >
20 > I did as others suggested and tried several until I found one that worked.
21 >  Sometimes a slightly different model/serial/part no KVM from the same
22 > manufacturer would/wouldn't work.
23 >
24 > --
25 > G.Wolfe Woodbury
26 > redwolfe@×××××.com
30 Thanks. Sounds about like what was going on at his place and it's a
31 reasonable evaluation potentially.
32
33 I guess I could have made it a bit more clear early on - I'm not
34 looking to solve anything here and I'm not buying KVMs. I was just
35 curious as to the root cause of the problem. I've seen it discussed
36 periodically for over a decade but never any strong analysis of why it
37 happens. It's not a huge problem to the community.
38
39 Cheers,
40 Mark