From: Tamer Higazi <th982a@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no sound with pulseaudio
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 23:10:48
1 Am 29.09.2011 00:03, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2 > On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Am 28.09.2011 23:28, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
4 >>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> Hi!
6 >>>> I have configured pulseaudio according
7 >>>>
8 >>>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAudio
9 >>>>
10 >>>>
11 >>>> but I simply have no sound.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> The pulseaudio playback volume meter shows me signal, and that the bars
14 >>>> are jumping if I playback a music track.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> alsa-plugins (with pulseaudio USE flag)
17 >>>> gst-plugins-pulse
18 >>>>
19 >>>> are installed. But I don't know what is being blocked, that I have no
20 >>>> sound output at my headphones.
21 >>>>
22 >>>> PS: the headphones are ok.
23 >>>>
24 >>>> Any suggestions?
25 >>>
26 >>> What music player are you using? Did you set or modify ~/.asoundrc?
27 >>
28 >> ~/.asoundrc doesn't exist.
29 >>
30 >> I have /etc/asound.conf with these entries:
33 >> pcm.pulse {
34 >> type pulse
35 >> }
36 >>
37 >> ctl.pulse {
38 >> type pulse
39 >> }
40 >>
41 >> for all alsa applications to be redirected to pulse!
42 >
43 > Mmmh. It's not exactly like that: If you use pcm.pulse and ctl.pulse,
44 > then you need to specify pulse as the virtual ALSA device. If you want
45 > "all alsa applications to be redirected to pulse", you need:
46 >
47 > pcm.!default {
48 > type pulse
49 > }
50 >
51 > ctl.!default {
52 > type pulse
53 > }
54 >
55 >> The players Rhythmbox, xine all with pulseaudio default output plugins.
56 >
57 > That should work. Did you check in sound settings that pulse is indeed
58 > the desired output
59 >
60 >>> What Desktop do you use?
61 >>
62 >> Gnome, latest 2.x version
63 >>
64 >> Is the pulseaudio daemon running?
65 >>
66 >> Yes!
67 >>
68 >> tamer@office ~ $ pstree -pu | grep puls
69 >>
70 >> |-pulseaudio(22833,tamer)-+-gconf-helper(22840)---{gconf-helper}(22841)
71 >> | |-{pulseaudio}(22839)
72 >> | `-{pulseaudio}(22842)
73 >
74 > Looks OK.
75 >
76 >> I have added all config files in "/etc/pulse/"
77 >
78 > I wouldn't touch the files on /etc/pulse. I recommend first trying to
79 > make it work with the files included with pulseaudio (backup
80 > /etc/pulse, move the dir out of /etc and emerge again pulseaudio)
81 > before trying anything else. Supposedly, pulseaudio should "just
82 > works". Since the first time I installed it I have never touched the
83 > files in /etc/pulse, except to change the log-level of the daemon.
84 >
85 As requested, I moved the pulse folder somewhere else and remerged
86 pulseaudio as well moved /etc/asound.conf somewhere else as well.
87
88 No sound!
91 > I'm on GNOME 3, so things are a little different, and I don't remember
92 > exactly the dialogs, but instead of the Gentoo wiki page, I would
93 > follow this:
94 >
95 > http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
96 >
97 > And more specifically:
98 >
99 > http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#GNOME
100 >
101 > and
102 >
103 > http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#GStreamerApplications
104 >
105 > Also, in really weird cases, the ALSA device gets its volume muted:
106 > You can try to remove (back up first) /etc/asound.conf, and run (as
107 > root)
108 >
109 > alsamixer -V all
110
111 I did, and fired all the bars up. nothing! really nothing!
114 > and trying to unmute and turn up the volume on everything. When you
115 > hear something with any player, return the asound.conf to /etc and try
116 > again.
117 >
118 > Regards.
119
120 I have the dumb feeling that one process is blocking the output, I hear
121 in my headphones the white noise of my system, which wouldn't be there
122 if the soundcard hadn't been initialised.
125 Is there a way to find out which applications might make use of the
126 soundcard right now?!
129 Tamer