From: Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] insert text onto a PDF
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:36:41
1 I found this via google:
2
3 "The Tools
4
5 The tools I found are Xfig and flpsed. Xfig is a general image editor,
6 while flpsed is specifically for marking up PDF files. It's important
7 to note that neither of these programs can actually edit PDF files.
8 Rather, they can be used to add new text and graphics on top of the
9 file. This is generally all you need for filling out typical business
10 forms such as contracts. "
11
12 <http://www.linux.com/articles/113907>
15 I just want to add text on top of a PDF, resulting in a new file. I'm
16 not concerned with encryption, authorization, nor really "editing" the
17 PDF itself -- just ending up with a new PDF with my text on top.
18
19 I read something about a java app to do this in a magazine a few
20 months, but didn't keep the article :(
21
22 IIRC it was on the cover to something like "linux format", one of
23 those linux magazines with the CD/DVD give-away, oversized.
24
25 I also came across:
26
27 <http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/PDFedit?content=51831> so,
28 if I install kde then I can have PDFedit?
29
30 There's also:
31
32 <http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/sunrise> but it seems a bit complex,
33 masked packages and so forth (?).
34
35 Then, there's this ebuild just loitering around in cyberspace:
36
37 <http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~sanda/pdfedit/> but it doesn't
38 appear on the gentoo website that I saw.
39
40 Finally, gimp can be used according to:
41
42 <http://www.wikihow.com/Edit-PDF-Files-in-Linux> but it's a bit vague.
48 So, what do other people do?
55 thanks,