From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing subject and from lines of cron emails
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 22:48:30
1 On Monday 21 December 2009, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > A bit of Googling [1] shows me that:
4 >
5 > 0 8 * * * /usr/local/bin/get_iplayer -z "Daily Summary" 2>&1 | grep -v
6 > ^Added | mailx -s "iPlayer Daily Summary" stroller
7 >
8 > which gives a neater subject line.
9 >
10 > However the "from: " address is stroller@×××××××××.domain, which I
11 > feel is a little untidy.
12 >
13 > It's probably OCD of me to care, but I would prefer the mails to
14 > appear in my mail client as from "iPlayer".
15
16 Some (don't know about gentoo's) versions of the "mail" command have a "-r"
17 switch that lets you specify the "from" address.
18
19 In any case, if, instead of mail/mailx, you use a sendmail-compatible agent
20 like ssmtp, there you'll definitely have a -r option.