From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsa problem
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 12:18:43
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:25:12 +0800
4 "Chuanwen Wu" <wcw8410@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > > Yes,both my Windows XP and another linux os Redflag have sound. Is
7 > > > there anyway that I can use the Redflag's modules to driver my
8 > > > gentoo?
9 > >
10 > > Only by using its kernel, too. Then you would just copy the kernel (and
11 > > initrd, if needed, but this might be a bag of problems if the initrd
12 > > depends on stuff from the base system) from /boot and the according
13 > > module tree from /lib/modules.
14 > Oh, I just forgot that the Redflag is a i386 OS but the gentoo is
15 > amd64 OS. So gentoo can't use the Redflag's modules and kernel(vice
16 > versa).
17
18 Hm, I see. I think the different IRQs are not really worth mentioning,
19 since they get automatically assigned. All that fooling around with
20 different versions of ALSA didn't help much, so it boils down to
21 - either it's a modified kernel what Redflag uses (I agree they use
22 in-kernel ALSA), or
23 - it's really an AMD64 vs. i386 matter.
24
25 > When I do #modprobe snd_hda_intel(or #alsaconf), I can see the message
26 > below appending to the ouput of dmesg:
27 > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
28 > PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64
29 > stac92xx_auto_fill_dac_nids: No available DAC for pin 0x0
30
31 I had a really deep look
32 into /usr/src/linux/sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c, but nothing really
33 rings a bell. I think this indicates the problem (since nothing will
34 get routed correctly when it fails on the first pin, 0). But I don't
35 think the problem is located in the function that prints this error. In
36 any case, after printing that error, the initialization of the pin
37 routing fails with an error. So it's definately a driver issue, not
38 something about machine configuration.
39
40 In any case, I think you should report to the alsa mailinglist. FWIW, I
41 can't currently access www.alsa-project.org either. You can find the
42 subscription interface here: