From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Flash lockups
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 23:44:59
1 On Wednesday 18 May 2011 19:05:28 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 18 May 2011 17:57:55 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 18 May 2011 17:35:11 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > > What about Flash in web browsers is not working for you since
5 > > > updating to OpenRC? Granted, I run only Firefox-3.6.X but I see no
6 > > > problem that I recognize on any of my machines.
7 > >
8 > > I upgraded to openrc 10 days ago and didn't notice anything untoward,
9 > > but after a few days Firefox 3.6.17 started reporting that it couldn't
10 > > find Flash. (I only use Flash for the BBC I-Player service.) I tried
11 > > Opera, Chrome and Seamonkey, and they either said the same or just sat
12 > > and looked at me when asked to stream audio.
13 > >
14 > > I tried re-merging adobe-flash and nspluginwrapper a couple of times
15 > > and now the audio streaming runs, but I'm suffering random lockups
16 > > when cycling desktops, and I think I remember reading that Flash does
17 > > sometimes cause lockups. I'm thinking of removing everything flash and
18 > > substituting gnash or something, because I do like to listen to the
19 > > radio.
20 > >
21 > > This is an amd64 box. I have only:
22 > >
23 > > $ cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
24 > > ~app-office/libreoffice-3.3.1
25 >
26 > I believe these may be related to having the oficial nvidia drivers.
27 > When having those, it wants to use hardware acceleration and adobe hasn't
28 > figured out how to do that properly yet....
29
30 I realised a second after clicking Send that I hadn't said I'm using the
31 nouveau driver. I don't have nvidia-drivers installed.
32
33 So it isn't that.
36 Rgds
37 Peter