From: Trifu Catalin Florin <sviatovigt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] /etc/make.profile symlink broken
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:11:43
1 Hi all
2
3 I'm struggling for several weeks to get my systems up to date. I have two
4 systems which haven't been updated for an year or so.
5 I have also opened a topic on the gentoo forum that can be found at this
6 address: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-852377-highlight-.html
9 As you will see in that topic, the error was related to a circular dependency
10 between gcc and glibc. I didn't manage to solve the problem but tonight I had an
11 other error.
12 On one of the systems, the symlink between /etc/make.profile was broken. I have
13 discovered when I have tried to do emerge --update --deep world. I don't know
14 why
15
16 and I'm a little bit scared because I couldn't find anything in the bash history
17 that could have give me a clue of the mistake I have made which lead to the
18 destruction of
19
20 that symlink. This would be my first question, did anyone experienced the same
21 problem? Does anyone has any idea of a mistake that could lead to this result?
22
23 I have mapped /etc/make.profile with another profile and I have tried to update
24 the system again. This time, the error thrown by portage was something related
25 to xz-utils,
26 but unfortunately I didn't copy the error. Can anyone tell me a brief
27 explanation of what a profile is and how does it affect my system? What is the
28 difference between the
29
30 profiles listed under /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0 and those
31 listed under /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/10.0 ? Can you please tell
32 me what should I
33 read in order to find more information about this profiles?
34
35 Thank you in advance!