From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Pentium 75 Compiled on P4
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 03:42:57
1 I have an ancient Pentium 1 machine sitting around and thought it would be
2 neat to mess around with using it as a Postfix server on my network
3 (non-production use). Anyhow the situation is that with a Pentium 1 and 32MB
4 of ram this thing takes three weeks to compile Gentoo and I recently had a
5 power failure after week one of the compilation (very sad). To remedy this I
6 setup a chrooted environment on my P4 desktop and installed a stage 1 into
7 it then proceeded to do the entire system setup (sans formatting and
8 partitioning) inside this nice chrooted environment. I used CFLAGS for
9 Pentium and such. As far as anyone knows, would there be any issues if I
10 just bzipped up the entire directory structure on my system and after
11 formatting and partition ting dropped it on the soon to be server? I can't
12 see any issue but then again I have never attempted something like this. Any
13 insights would be appreciated.
14
15 -Mike
19 Michael E. Crute
20 Software Developer
21 SoftGroup Development Corporation
22
23 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
24 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"