From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] EAPI packages
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 13:23:03
1 On 16/08/2016 14:13, hw wrote:
2 > So after all, Gentoo seemed the least-bad choice with some arguments for
3 > it.
4 > Now it turns out that you can´t update it without running into problems all
5 > the time, and currently not at all.
8 No, that is absolutely not true.
9
10 You have to understand that you must accept Gentoo on it's own terms and
11 realize what it is.
12
13 Here are some things that Gentoo IS NOT:
14
15 - A replacement for Debian/Centos with the same ease of maintenance
16 - A trouble-free distro
17 - A distro with assurances that the devs won't break it
18 - Suitable for production use without a QA system behind it
23 Gentoo is not for any of those cases. Gentoo is built by people who want
24 to customize or build a system that no-one else offers and you as the
25 user have to take that mindset as well.
26
27 With Gentoo, you own a race-car. It needs constant fiddling to keep it
28 happy and if you leave it in the garage for 6 months it complains very
29 very loudly.
30
31 I've been reading this thread all along, and one thing is clear to me:
32
33 Gentoo is not for you (unless you change your expectations), it does not
34 do what yu want and likely never will. You need a binary distro.
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com