From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using package.provided
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 05:23:03
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I'd like to stay on kernel-4.1.6, rather than keep installing the
3 > newest version at each upgrade.
4 >
5 > As I recall, and a quick look at `man portage', a file named
6 > `package.provided' is meant for such things.
7 >
8 > The syntax is not described in detail... I tried these:
9 >
10 > /etc/portage/package.provided
11 >
12 > >=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.6
13 >
14 > Still `emerge -vp gentoo-sources' indicates it will install the most
15 > recent kernel.
16 >
17 > then I noticed the portage man page, under `Format' does say:
18 > "relational operators are not allowed"
19 > So I dropped the `>=' part
20 >
21 > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.6
22 >
23 > Same result from `emerge -vp gentoo-sources' . . .
24 >
25 > What am I forgetting?
31 This is how I do this sort of thing. I add the name and version to
32 package.mask which stops future updates/upgrades. Example, for my
33 nvidia drivers, this is in package.mask.
34
35 >=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-341.0.0
36
37 That tells portage that anything above that version is masked locally
38 and not to update it. For what you want, this should work:
39
40 >sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.6
41
42 I removed the equal sign since you want to keep that version around but
43 nothing above it. If portage doesn't like that, you may want to use the
44 next version up and have the ">=" in front. According to what I have
45 here, it would be like this:
46
47 >=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.12
48
49 I actually don't show a 4.1.6 here right now. Removed I guess but
50 likely still works.
51
52 That goes under /etc/portage/ by the way. I think you know that already
53 but just in case. I have those moments too. ;-)
54
55 That helps??
56
57 Dale