From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] browser advice
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:21:12
1 On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
4 > What's your LINGUAS set to? `emerge -vp mozilla-firefox` if in doubt? Also did
5 [ebuild R ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.8 USE="java xprint -debug -gnome -ipv6 -mozdevelop -moznopango -xinerama" LINGUAS="-ar -bg -ca -cs -da -de -el -en_GB -es -es_AR -es_ES -eu -fi -fr -ga -ga_IE -gu_IN -he -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -mk -nb -nb_NO -nl -pa_IN -pl -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk -sl -sv -sv_SE -tr -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB
6
7 > you try the "Google.com in English" link? It's stored for me. (Perhaps it
8 If you mean the link www.google.com, I can't use it, because it is
9 redirected to www.google.pt.
10 > would help if you provided a link to the result page with useless brazilian
11 > links...)
12 Never mind. I'm done with FF. What I was asking for was feedback
13 about the other browsers.
14 >
15 > Either way. The alternatives for X that I'm aware of are www-client/opera,
16 > kde-base/konqueror, www-client/seamonkey and www-client/epiphany. Seamonkey
17 > is the actively maintained replacement for Mozilla. Firefox was supposed to
18 > be a lightweight Mozilla that only does browsing as opposed to browsing,
19 > mailing, irc, calendar... I'd say they failed a bit with the lightweight bit.
20 > Hopefully it'll get better...
21 I remember that in Mozilla I could press a letter key and it would go
22 to the next link mactching that letter. I missed that in FF. On the
23 other hand, I had no use for mailer+calendar etc.
24 >
25 > Personally I'm using firefox because I haven't figured out how to get any of
26 > the others to behave like I want them to. Konqueror, Epiphany and Opera are
27 > all a lot faster than Firefox though. Seamonkey I don't know about since I
28 OK, it's good to know. Epiphany is not a good choice for me, because I
29 would have to install a lot of gnome dependencies.
32 Thank you.
35 Jorge Almeida