From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange outbound requests
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:05:41
1 On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> > `watch` isn't going to help too much unless you're looking at it. Append
3 >>> > the output to some log file instead. I chose netstat because its output
4 >>> > looked easier to parse with a stupid regexp.
5 >>> >
6 >>> >  while true; do
7 >>> >    netstat -antp | grep ':993 ' >> mystery.log;
8 >>> >    sleep 1;
9 >>> >  done;
10 >>> >
11 >>> > You'll want to change the port -- I tested to make sure that was really
12 >>> > logging my Thunderbird connections.
13 >>>
14 >>> I'm still getting the blocked outbound requests to port 3680 on my
15 >>> firewall and I'm running the above script (changed 993 to 3680) on the
16 >>> local system indicated by SRC in the firewall log, but mystery.log
17 >>> remains empty.  I tested the script with other ports and it seems to
18 >>> be working fine.
19 >>>
20 >>> Also the MAC indicated in the firewall log is 14 blocks long and the
21 >>> local system in question has a MAC address 6 blocks long according to
22 >>> ifconfig, but the 6 blocks from ifconfig do match 6 of the blocks
23 >>> reported by the firewall.
24 >>>
25 >>> Does this make sense to anyone?
26 >>
27 >> Does not make sense to me, sorry.  :-(
28 >
29 > Since my local firewall is rejecting the outbound requests, the time
30 > elapsed between the request and the block should be very short.  Is it
31 > possible the 'sleep 1' portion of the script is causing the failure to
32 > log the connection request?  The outbound connection is only attempted
33 > a few times per day.  If so, how would you recommend fixing that?
34
35 Try configuring your local firewall to log the request. There may be
36 something useful, such as logging an associated PID or user, that you
37 can add there. I don't know.
38
39 Alternately, you could DROP the outbound packet rather than REJECT it;
40 that should cause the connecting process to wait several seconds until
41 it times out.
44 > I'm also wondering if there is a command I could run on the
45 > router/firewall machine that would log something from the outbound
46 > request.  Even if the information logged isn't useful, it would be
47 > nice to see a confirmation of the outbound requests logged from
48 > somewhere besides the firewall.
49
50 Ow. We need to get a bit more specific. Is the 'local firewall' on the
51 connecting host, or is it on your router?
52
53 As far as logging goes, you can set up a rule (prior to your DROP or
54 REJECT) with a target of LOG. The packet will show up in syslog.
57 :wq