From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Synchronous writes over the network.
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 15:53:25
2 >> -----Original Message-----
3 >> From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
4 >> Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 2:29 PM
5 >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Synchronous writes over the network.
7 >>
8 >> On 23/12/2021 21:50, Mark Knecht wrote:
9 >> > In the case of astrophotography I will have multiple copies of the
10 >> > original photos. The process of stacking the individual photos can
11 >> > create gigabytes of intermediate files but as long as the originals
12 >> > are safe then it's just a matter of starting over. In my
13 >> > astrophotography setup I create about 50Mbyte per minute and take
14 >> > pictures for hours so a set of photos coming in at 1-2GB and up to
15 >> > maybe 10GB isn't uncommon. I might create 30-50GB of intermediate
16 >> > files which eventually get deleted but they can reside on the server
17 >> > while I'm working. None of that has to be terribly fast.
18 >>
19 >> :-)
20 >>
21 >> Seeing as I run lvm, that sounds a perfect use case. Create an LV, dump the files on it, when you're done unmount and delete the LV.
22 >>
23 >> I'm thinking of pulling the same stunt with wherever gentoo dumps its build files etc. Let it build up til I think I need a clearout, then create a new lv and scrap the old one.
24 >>
25 >> Cheers,
26 >> Wol
30 The locations where Portage drops build files, package files, and source archives are set in make.conf if you really want to do this.
31 But the build files get deleted automatically when finished unless there was an error or you specifically told Portage not to, and the "eclean" tool will clean up the stale things in the other locations without deleting stuff that's actually still useful.
32
33 LMP